Links

Friday, August 24, 2007

basic christian beliefs

I‎ ‎have‎ ‎just‎ ‎begun‎ ‎teaching‎ ‎an‎ ‎undergraduate‎ ‎course‎,‎‎ ‎‎“Basic‎ ‎Christian‎ ‎Beliefs‎,‎‎”‎‎ ‎as‎ ‎an‎ ‎adjunct‎ ‎professor‎ ‎at‎ ‎my‎ ‎alma‎ ‎mater‎,‎‎ ‎Friends‎ ‎University‎ ‎‎(‎www‎.‎friends‎.‎edu‎)‎‎.‎‎ ‎This‎ ‎is‎ ‎something‎ ‎of‎ ‎a‎ ‎new‎ ‎experience‎ ‎for‎ ‎me‎.‎‎ ‎My‎ ‎primary‎ ‎training‎,‎‎ ‎at‎ ‎least‎ ‎in‎ ‎terms‎ ‎of‎ ‎my‎ ‎postgraduate‎ ‎work‎,‎‎ ‎is‎ ‎in‎ ‎biblical‎ ‎studies‎.‎‎ ‎I‎ ‎am‎ ‎currently‎ ‎in‎ ‎the‎ ‎final‎ ‎throws‎ ‎of‎ ‎my‎ ‎PhD‎ ‎thesis‎,‎‎*‎‎ ‎which‎ ‎develops‎ ‎a‎ ‎narrative‎-‎critical‎ ‎reading‎ ‎of‎ ‎Mark‎ ‎‎4‎‎:‎‎1‎‎–‎‎8‎‎:‎‎3‎‎0‎‎ ‎‎(‎what‎ ‎I‎ ‎call‎ ‎the‎ ‎Sea‎ ‎Crossing‎ ‎movement‎)‎‎,‎‎ ‎which‎ ‎attempts‎ ‎to‎ ‎demonstrate‎ ‎that‎ ‎the‎ ‎Markan‎ ‎disciples‎ ‎are‎ ‎repeatedly‎ ‎characterized‎ ‎as‎ ‎resistant‎ ‎to‎ ‎and‎ ‎opposed‎ ‎to‎ ‎Jesus‎'‎‎ ‎Gentile‎ ‎mission‎ ‎and‎ ‎their‎ ‎participation‎ ‎in‎ ‎it‎.‎‎ ‎(*Note that I speak of my “PhD thesis” instead of my “Ph.D. dissertation.” This reflects the fact that my degree is being pursued in the U.K. (University of St Andrews; Scotland) where they use fewer periods, and dissertations are called theses and vice-versa.)

As‎ ‎I‎ ‎indicate‎ ‎in‎ ‎the‎ ‎syllabus‎,‎‎ ‎the‎ ‎main‎ ‎objective‎ ‎of‎ ‎this‎ ‎course‎ ‎is‎ ‎for‎ ‎students‎ ‎to‎ ‎develop‎ ‎the‎ ‎ability‎ ‎to‎ ‎think‎ ‎theologically‎.‎‎ ‎I‎ ‎write‎ ‎that‎ ‎we‎ ‎are‎ ‎not‎ ‎simply‎ ‎going‎ ‎to‎ ‎learn‎ ‎about‎ ‎Christian‎ ‎theology‎ ‎‎(‎its‎ ‎history‎,‎‎ ‎concepts‎,‎‎ ‎and‎ ‎major‎ ‎contributors‎)‎‎,‎‎ ‎but‎ ‎we‎ ‎are‎ ‎going‎ ‎to‎ ‎engage‎ ‎in‎ ‎the‎ ‎theological‎ ‎task‎ ‎itself‎,‎‎ ‎learning‎ ‎what‎ ‎it‎ ‎means‎ ‎to‎ ‎view‎ ‎our‎ ‎lives‎,‎‎ ‎our‎ ‎world‎,‎‎ ‎and‎ ‎their‎ ‎various‎ ‎problems‎ ‎and‎ ‎proposed‎ ‎solutions‎ ‎from‎ ‎within‎ ‎an‎ ‎orthodox‎ ‎Christian‎ ‎framework‎.‎‎ ‎‎‎“‎In‎ ‎short‎,‎‎ ‎we‎ ‎are‎ ‎going‎ ‎to‎ ‎do‎ ‎Christian‎ ‎theology‎.‎‎

Given‎ ‎this‎ ‎objective‎,‎‎ ‎I‎ ‎am‎ ‎requiring‎ ‎students‎ ‎to‎ ‎develop‎ ‎and‎ ‎maintain‎ ‎a‎ ‎theological‎ ‎reflection‎ ‎journal‎ ‎which‎ ‎will‎ ‎account‎ ‎for‎ ‎the‎ ‎bulk‎ ‎of‎ ‎their‎ ‎assessed‎ ‎work‎ ‎‎(‎‎7‎‎0‎‎%‎‎ ‎of‎ ‎their‎ ‎final‎ ‎grade‎)‎‎.‎‎ ‎I‎'‎ve‎ ‎been‎ ‎reading‎ ‎up‎ ‎on‎ ‎learning‎ ‎journals‎ ‎‎(‎see‎ ‎below‎)‎‎ ‎and‎ ‎see‎ ‎them‎ ‎as‎ ‎possessing‎ ‎immense‎ ‎value‎ ‎for‎ ‎learning‎ ‎and‎ ‎as‎ ‎having‎ ‎significant‎ ‎potential‎ ‎for‎ ‎helping‎ ‎us‎ ‎achievement‎ ‎the‎ ‎course‎'‎s‎ ‎basic‎ ‎objective‎ ‎to‎ ‎learn‎ ‎to‎ ‎think‎ ‎theologically‎.‎‎ ‎But‎,‎‎ ‎one‎ ‎of‎ ‎the‎ ‎challenges‎ ‎I‎ ‎am‎ ‎having‎ ‎with‎ ‎this‎ ‎assignment‎ ‎is‎ ‎knowing‎ ‎exactly‎ ‎how‎ ‎to‎ ‎describe‎ ‎what‎ ‎I‎ ‎envision‎ ‎and‎ ‎expect‎ ‎their‎ ‎journals‎ ‎being‎ ‎and‎ ‎doing‎.‎‎ ‎On‎ ‎the‎ ‎one‎ ‎hand‎,‎‎ ‎I‎ ‎want‎ ‎to‎ ‎provide‎ ‎enough‎ ‎detail‎ ‎and‎ ‎direction‎ ‎so‎ ‎that‎ ‎the‎ ‎students‎ ‎know‎ ‎how‎ ‎to‎ ‎proceed‎,‎‎ ‎which‎ ‎includes‎ ‎their‎ ‎having‎ ‎a‎ ‎clear‎ ‎understanding‎ ‎as‎ ‎to‎ ‎how‎ ‎they‎ ‎will‎ ‎be‎ ‎assessed‎;‎‎ ‎on‎ ‎the‎ ‎other‎ ‎hand‎,‎‎ ‎I‎ ‎do‎ ‎not‎ ‎want‎ ‎to‎ ‎provide‎ ‎too‎ ‎much‎ ‎detail‎ ‎because‎ ‎I‎ ‎want‎ ‎their‎ ‎journals‎ ‎to‎ ‎become‎ ‎their‎ ‎own‎.‎‎ ‎In‎ ‎short‎,‎‎ ‎I‎ ‎want‎ ‎the‎ ‎students‎ ‎to‎ ‎have‎ ‎the‎ ‎freedom‎ ‎to‎ ‎make‎ ‎their‎ ‎journals‎ ‎into‎ ‎something‎ ‎that‎ ‎will‎ ‎be‎ ‎the‎ ‎most‎ ‎beneficial‎ ‎for‎ ‎their‎ ‎learning‎ ‎while‎ ‎making‎ ‎sure‎ ‎that‎ ‎they‎ ‎are‎ ‎able‎ ‎to‎ ‎be‎ ‎assessed‎ ‎in‎ ‎as‎ ‎an‎ ‎objective‎ ‎manner‎ ‎as‎ ‎possible‎.‎‎

‎ ‎ Consequently‎,‎‎ ‎one‎ ‎of‎ ‎the‎ ‎rationales‎ ‎for‎ ‎establishing‎ ‎this‎ ‎blog‎ ‎is‎ ‎to‎ ‎provide‎ ‎an‎ ‎example‎ ‎of‎ ‎the‎ ‎sort‎ ‎of‎ ‎stuff‎ ‎one‎ ‎might‎ ‎include‎ ‎in‎ ‎a‎ ‎theological‎ ‎reflection‎ ‎journal‎.‎‎ ‎And‎ ‎so‎,‎‎ ‎today‎ ‎as‎ ‎I‎ ‎was‎ ‎working‎ ‎through‎ the week‎’‎s‎ ‎readings‎,‎‎ ‎lectures‎,‎‎ ‎and‎ ‎discussions‎ ‎and‎ ‎began‎ ‎to‎ ‎write‎ ‎out‎ ‎some‎ ‎of‎ ‎my‎ ‎thoughts‎,‎‎ ‎it‎ ‎occurred‎ ‎to‎ ‎me‎ ‎that‎ ‎what‎ ‎I‎ ‎was‎ ‎engaging‎ ‎in‎ ‎theological‎ ‎reflection‎ ‎and‎ ‎that‎ ‎the‎ ‎students‎ ‎might‎ ‎benefit‎ ‎from‎ ‎seeing‎ ‎what‎ ‎I‎ ‎do‎ ‎when‎ ‎I‎ ‎am‎ ‎developing‎ ‎this‎ ‎course‎.‎‎ ‎Moreover‎,‎‎ ‎much‎ ‎of‎ ‎the‎ ‎material‎ ‎I‎ ‎develop‎ ‎and‎ ‎work‎ ‎through‎ ‎on‎ ‎paper‎ ‎will‎ ‎not‎ ‎be‎ ‎able‎ ‎to‎ ‎be‎ ‎presented‎ ‎in‎ ‎class‎ ‎given‎ ‎the‎ ‎constraints‎ ‎of‎ ‎time‎,‎‎ ‎and‎ ‎so‎ ‎this‎ ‎blog‎ ‎provides‎ ‎an‎ ‎ideal‎ ‎place‎ ‎to‎ ‎post‎ ‎material‎ ‎that‎ ‎would‎ ‎be‎ ‎of‎ ‎benefit‎ ‎to‎ ‎the‎ ‎students‎ ‎taking‎ ‎Basic‎ ‎Christian‎ ‎Beliefs‎.‎‎ ‎I‎ ‎have‎ ‎also‎ ‎decided‎ ‎to‎ ‎make‎ ‎it‎ ‎public‎ ‎in‎ ‎case‎ ‎it‎ ‎could‎ ‎be‎ ‎of‎ ‎some‎ ‎interest‎ ‎and‎ ‎use‎ ‎to‎ ‎a‎ ‎wider‎ ‎audience‎.‎

No comments: